AAA Washington was established in 1904 by 10 prominent Seattle businessmen with the mission of making automobile travel safe, comfortable and affordable. They soon led the effort in enacting laws to protect users of the public roads, erect directional signs and create legislation to provide for new transportation arteries. They were also active in drafting Washington's first traffic code requiring auto licensing, one lighted lamp for hours of darkness, a muffler, "good and efficient" brakes, a bell or horn, and speed limits of 12 m.p.h. in city and 24 m.p.h. on the open road. Though the requirements were few, they were a substantial accomplishment considering the state of the day's roads. A century later the fruits of their labor are still visible throughout our state.